If you play in 18 to 24 player roster leagues, then this article is for you. I don't know about you, but players suggested by other sites are rarely available in my leagues, so I must do my own homework. This is essentially my "short list" of waiver wire pick up potentials, assembled from the players in my league and sorted by some very early fantasy point projections.
I watch the news on these players and see how the fantasy projections change as the projection providers come up to date with the latest news. I play in three leagues, a 24-player roster dynasty league and two 18-player rosters leagues. The players with the asterisks in front of them are available in my 24-player roster league.
- Jimmy Garoppolo, LV v NE: (16.47) Despite the huge run ups in score teams have been getting against the Patriots, the Pats D is 4th overall against QBs so be careful here.
- Zach Wilson, NYJ v Phi: (16.24) Wilson's numbers last week weren't impressive, but the Jets came away with the win. Look for a shoot out next week against a week Eagles secondary (26th against QBs).
- *Gardner Minshew, Ind @ Jax: (14.5) Anthony Richardson is out for at least a month.
- *Bailey Zappe, NE @ LV: (14.3) You need to be really desparate to need Zappe (or just about any Patriots player), but watch the news on Mac Jones. The Patriots couldn't have any worse losses than the their last two. Zappe came off the bench and was clearly better than Mac Jones. But Belichick doesn't listen to us.
- Ryan Tannehill, Ten v Bal: (13.72) Could this be Tannehill's last week as the starter? He is up against a very tough Ravens D on a road trip to Europe. If he continues to not perform (2 passing TDs so far this season), maybe it is time for Will Levis to stand behind center.
- Desmond Ridder, Atl v Wsh: (13.37) Had his best week yet in Week 5. Up against a Commanders weak secondary (28th vs QBs) in Week 6.
- *Dorian Thompson-Robinson, CLE v SFO: (11.7) Deshaun Watson is still not practicing after a week off.
- Gus Edwards, Bal @ Ten: (8.8) Still getting double digit carries per game, but not doing much with them. Don't expect much from Edwards aganst an average Titans D against the run in Week 6.
- Antonio Gibson, Wsh @ Atl: (7.9) No carries last week, but 4 receptions for 64 yards. Gibson is versitile and always finds a way into the game script somehow. Up against the #1 Falcons D against the run in Week 6.
- Samaje Perine, Dev @ KC: (7.9) Been getting low but consistent volume all season. Up against a tough Chiefs D in Week 6 (6th against RBs)
- Latavias Murray, Buf v NYG: (5.5) Always a bride's maid, never the bride. Murray is the perpetual waiver wire RB for fantasy. You only take him when your starters and bench are cleaned out for the week. Then you drop him the next week. Has a good match up against the Giants in Week 6 (27th against RBs)
- *Emari Demercado, Ari @ LAR: (5.1) Watch the injury news for James Conner and Keaontay Ingram heading into Week 6. Demercado, a rookie, could be the starter in Week 6 after a solid showing Week 5. Up against a weak Texans D against the run (24th) in Week 6.
- *Jordan Mason, SF @ Cle: (4.5) Looked great in Week 5 garbage time. Expect Mason to remain in his back up role and limited touches in Week 6.
- Kendre Miller, NO @ Hou: (3.9) Rookie Miller is getting more volume, both on the ground and in the air since his Week 3 debut, but how much of his Week 3 volume was game script against a badly defeated Patriots D in Week 5.
- *Craig Reynolds, Det @ TB: (2.3) Watch the injury news for Jahmyr Gibbs and David Montgomery heading into Week 6.
- K.J. Osborn, Min @ Chi: (9.8) 13 receptions on 26 targets on the season so far. If Justin Jefferson is out in Week 6 (hamstring), which is likely, expect Osborn to get more volume than usual in Week 6 against an average Bears D against WRs.
- *Kalif Raymond, Det @ TB: (6.8) Has received a consistent, but rather low, volume of targets. This could be because of Jameson Williams suspension Weeks 1 through 4 and Amon-Ra St. Brown being sidelined in Week 5. Williams didn't do much in Week 5, but I doubt Detroit has completely given up on him yet. Watch the injury news on St. Brown.
- Nelson Agholor, Bal @ Ten: (4.3) There just aren't any good options at WR this week, but Agholor might be the best of a poor lot. Will he get 2 fantasy points or 10 fantasy points against a weak Titans secondary (26th against WRs) next week in London? Your guess is as good as mine.
- *Brandon Johnson, Den @ KC: (3.3) Caught 8 of 11 passes for 122 yards and 3 TDs so far this season. Didn't get much opportunity in Week 5, but this sophomore keeps making the most of the opportunities he does get. Why wouldn't he get more volume going forward?
- Dalton Schultz, Hou v NO: (8.8) Led the Texans in receptions last week. Up against a tough Saints D in Week 6 (1st against TEs) so don't expect much from Schultz this week.
- *Tyler Conklin, NYJ v Phi: (8.1) Some thought Conkin's value might pop with Aaron Rodgers, but he seems to be building chemistry with Zach Wilson. Look for Conklin to get more opportunites in Week 6 against the Eagles which are 22nd against TEs.
- *Logan Thomas, Wsh @ Atl: (8.0) Can't believe he is still available. I have recommended him for several weeks and wish I had picked him up and stuck in my lineup in Week 5. The Falcons are the 31st team against TEs this season. Look for Thomas to be involved in the passing game in Week 5.
- Noah Fant, Sea @ Cin: (5.1) Been consistent and reliable (10 catches out of 11 targets) since Week 2. Look for that to continue in Week 6 against a weak Bengals D against TEs (29th).
- Matt Gay: Ind @ Jax
- Jason Myers: Sea @ Cin
- Nick Folk: Ten v Bal
- Evan McPherson: Cin v Sea
- Eddy Pineiro: Car @ Mia
- Seattle Seahawks @ Cin (6.0)
- Cincinnati Bengals v Sea (5.8)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers v Det (5.2)
- Los Angeles Chargers v Dal (5.1)